Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have signed a commercial lease for an office at the end of

Hi, I have signed a commercial lease for an office at the end of November, the lease is officially starting tomorrow, but my agent just called me and informed me that the landlord has rented to another company what damages can I ask for (I already paid the 1st month rent, 2 months deposit and the agency fees)
Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I am in London
Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: no issues at all, I didn't even start! I was supposed to move in tomorrow the landlord has just decided at the last minute to rent to a higher bidder
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Was the agreement signed by both Landlord and Tenant?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is the problem, I signed it, I have email confirmation from the agent that I paid and that the office was mine but the actual landlord didn't counter sign
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not sure really how I can fight this, even in terms of compensation? Especially as they pressured me to pay straight away (which I did after signing the contract)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, the office was apparently rented in December, yet they waited until now, 24hrs before my move in date, to disclose this information to me,
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One last thing, I have just met with the agent who is offering me a "temporary" office, until a new one is ready, but it is smaller and doesn't have the same features as the one I signed and paid for, am I entitled to a discounted rate considering all this? And how can I make sure that they will really offer me the nice office and not change the terms again? If I decide not to continue with them, how can I get my money back + compensation as I will have to resume my search and in the meantime have nowhere for my employees to work

Did Landlord sign?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No he didn't.. Apparently he signs all the leases once a month
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But the other offer came in before in signed
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
although I had signed and paid and received emailed confirmation that the office was mine
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, is it legal to request payment before the landlord signs anything? Sorry that is a lot of questions, hopefully you can help me!

No. Leases like this and for property is subject to contract. So unless both the landlord and tenant signs either party can pull out.

I don’t think you have a claim but I can outline how to such for breach of contract to claim loss and damage?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
please

You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days from the date the letter was sent in the post, or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much! The last question I had is about what I have paid already, I'll write it in my request for compensation, but was it legal of them to pressure me into paying everything even if they had not sign the lease?

Yes. Generally they do get the tenant to sign first, then landlord.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you, ***** ***** that a tenant's money is really not protected..