How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 17359
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I just ended my tenancy agreement due to the fact that I

This answer was rated:

Hello, I just ended my tenancy agreement due to the fact that I bought my own property. However, during the tenancy period, the bathroom in the en-suite starting leaking and couldn’t be used anymore. Despite my various attempts to contact the agent/ landlord to fix the bathroom and various contractors coming the house to assess the damage, the agent / landlord never fixed the bathroom. Despite all of this, I continued to pay the rent in full and on time. I’m now considering whether I could claim some money back. Could you please advise if this permissible by law?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No steps taken so far
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: Swindon, Wiltshire UK
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days from the date the letter was sent in the post, or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jamie, Thanks for your response. Just to clarify:1. What are reasonable losses that I can claim for the en suite bathroom (shower) that I couldn’t use for ca. 6 months?
2. Do I now need to send a formal letter with the estimated losses to my previous landlord with a request for payment?

1. I would say about 15% of rent

2. Yes, you need to send a formal letter.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That’s great Jamie. Thank you

can I assist with anything else today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That’s all. Thanks

Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer 5 stars before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you