Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I’m struggling with an issue for 2 weeks straight and on and

Good evening Pearl, I’m struggling with an issue for 2 weeks straight and on and off for about a month: I have no hot water in my flat. My landlord is also the agency I rented from, Akelius, and they have a property management company in charge of maintenance, Steamline. Meanwhile they’re doing remodelling works in the building so there’s also a contractor. Between so many parties involved, I feel lost and can’t seem to get more than standard replies along the lines of “thanks for your patience, we’re working on fixing he issue”. Anything I could possibly do to get this sorted ASAP? Many thanks.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, just emailing and calling.
Assistant: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Hampstead
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

They are in breach of contract. Do you want to sue for loss and damage?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I wouldn’t go so far, I just want them to fix it fast or provide compensation for the time the issue persists

Section 11(c) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 says:

(c)to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water.

You need to write and set out your losses and request repair completed within 7 days or compensation, from the date the letter was sent in the post, or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Many thanks Jamie, all clear now.

Pleasure