JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I live on the ground floor. The property above me is rented

Customer Question

I live on the ground floor. The property above me is rented through estate agent. There is currently issues with the floor boards upstairs.the sound is unbearable that I cannot sleep
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I spoke to the old tenant a couple of months and he told me he has spoken to the estate agent. He told me about two months ago the he will be moving out and that he has given the estate agents a couple of jobs to do and part of it is the floor boards
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: This week we noticed that a new tenant is moving in and the floor board has not been done
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I phoned the estate agents but they told me they do not know Any thing about the floor board. They told me to record the sound and email it to them. Today I could not sleep this morning so I tried recording but I couldn't
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

Have you notified your local council yet (the environmental health department)?. They have a duty to investigate nuisance such as this - they can fine and prosecute landlords. They can also give you sound recording equipment to record the decibel levels.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am the owner of my property. Can I still get in touch with the council

Yes, as they still have a duty to investigate statutory nuisance being the excessive noise. If the council cannot do anything then you can obtain the decibel evidence and apply to the local county court for an injunction (which costs £308).

Is there anything else I can help with?