JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have moved several times in the last 5 years and at each

Customer Question

I have moved several times in the last 5 years and at each property I have included contents and buildings insurance, in all cases each policy included legal cover. I am currently being sued for Knotweed that has been discovered at a property I sold in 2015. I have approached my current insurer who basically states that it is nothing to do with them my question therefore is would the liability for cover come my current insurer/or my insurer when I owned the property or neither.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Bognor regis
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

The liability for cover would come from your insurer at the time, so in 2015 when you had cover for the property which now has the knotweed. If the insurer is now refusing to pay out you need to counter sue them. I do not know how far along you are with court proceedings but you can counter claim against the insurer or join them in to court proceedings. I would also recommend making a formal complaint to them and then escalate to the Ombudsman at http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Good afternoon, if you can please click to accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating I would be grateful