How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask C.Cornel Your Own Question
C.Cornel, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 705
Experience:  Senior Lawyer at Legal Group
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
C.Cornel is online now

Should I type the message or is their a telephone number I

This answer was rated:

Hi, should I type the message or is their a telephone number I can call on please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Milton Keynes
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What is you specific query please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ben. I have been with my partner for 12 years living together in a house that he owns. I am not on the mortgage. My partner has two girls from previous relationships, currently one is 19 and the other is 29 years old. My partner and I are due to get married next year. Two years ago we each made a will and in his will he stated that if he died I could live in the house until I die and then the money/house would go to his two children. I wanted to get some legal advice before speaking with my partner as I am not sure he will change his will once we are married - my question is, once we are married does his will take precedence over the fact that if he died and I am his wife, would the house go to his children or me? My only concern is that if he died, I would be tied to living in the house and wouldn’t be able to move if the money from the house would instantly go to his children. My partner does not want me on the mortgage as I used to be on a debt management scheme and my credit score would have affected him getting the mortgage if it had been a joint one 6 years ago when he bought the current property. I have been off the debt management scheme now for 6 months and my credit score is above average for the area we live in

Unfortunately this is a question which is not within my area of law. I will open to it to all other experts and someone will hopefully pick it up soon. Please do not reply to this as it will just lock the question back to me. Many thanks

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed lawyer from the UK.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, did you get the information from Ben or would you need me to let you know my question?

The answer based on your circumstances is the following:

The will produces legal effects, regardless if you got married or not.

It means that his house will go to his children, unless he agrees to sign a new will.

Therefore, if you wish to have any legal right in regards ***** ***** house, you will have to convince him to sign a new will or for your name to be included on the deed.

If I have answered your question, please don't forget to rate the answer using the rate button on top left corner.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi - thank you. If my name goes on the mortgage does this affect the conditions of who the house goes to?

Yes, because the deed must match the mortgage applicants.

Therefore, if your name is ***** ***** mortgage, you would have the legal right to 50% of the house.

An easier option would be to simply convince him to change his will, if that would be possible.

Thank you.

C.Cornel, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 705
Experience: Senior Lawyer at Legal Group
C.Cornel and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lovely thank you for your help