UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Assistant: How can I help? I am a tenant of a property and

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am a tenant of a property and the contract was 6 months which i then extend to another 2 months and now there is one month left but i plan to extend the lease again but the landlord just tell me that they are not going to extend the lease for me
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: They just tell me when there is one month of the contract left
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Normally the notice should be given 2 months before date of vacate right?
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is in reading

Why are they saying that they will not extend and for how long do you wish to remain in the property?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I want to continue my stay for the next 6 months
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont know why too they didnt give me any reason
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But could they do that by giving a notice only 1 month in advance?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I ask them to move it to september so i have more time with finding house but in legal terms are they allowed to end the lease with only 1 month notice
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I sent them an email telling im happy to make 6 or longer lease if they allow to

The good news is that you do not need to do anything. You do not need to sign a renewal agreement as your tenancy automatically becomes a periodic tenancy by law once your agreement expires. You cannot be evicted by your landlord without a court order and that itself is a complicated and costly process.

Only a court may evict you by granting a possession order to your landlord.

You may inform your landlord that you have taken legal advice and cannot be evicted without a court order under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977, so if your landlord does not agree to granting a 6 months extension to you, you will not move out of the property without a court order. You may also speak to your local council's property department and they will confirm this and offer you support if need be.

All the best. Please leave a positive rating if this is helpful.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
even they don't want to give me a lease extension they could not do that right?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But if they come with a reason does that going to give them a right to kick me out of the property or they still have to possess through court?

They MUST go to the court to evict you (kick you out).

Yes, even if no lease extension, you still have a right to continue living in the property. You need to pay rent as usual of course.

All the best

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does that going to affect my credibility? When they ask me to leave the property but i deny to leave and continue my stay

No it does not affect your credibility as you are protected by the law. Please leave a positive rating as your questions have been answered and I am going offline shortly to go to court. Thank you.