JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I feel like my landlord is taking advantage of me and I just

Hi there,
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I feel like my landlord is taking advantage of me and I just wanna know whether he is allowed to do all of this stuff.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Nope.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: N1 5TN
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you this evening.

What has your landlord been doing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jim,I was born and raised in Germany and moved here in order to work for a specific tech company so I am not that familiar with the UK rights.I am renting a room in a flat share. It is a fixed term contract of six months. The beginning of the contract was 28th of December and it will end at the 27th of August. So thank god I survived this period.So after I have moved into the room it turned out that the neighbors and a lot of people around this area smoke weed. I don't care so much about that. But the smoke enters my room even though my window is closed. I begged my landlord to move out but he refused.The common areas aren't so clean and every single time when he comes in he complains and tells us we will have to keep the house clean. I told him it was like this when I moved in. He now wants to hire cleaners and let us pay the bills (he is telling us due to the state of the property no one wants to move in and therefore he can charge us with this). But that's also not really important right now. The only reason why I moved in is because I got scammed the first time I wanted to move in somewhere and I just wanted a place to stay.So it is 9:11 pm and he has a cleaner and construction worker working in our living room. Its really loud and this was unannounced (he announced that there will be a viewing today but nothing else about construction worker). What can I do about that. Please help me. I can't take this from him anymore. Like he comes every times unannounced at all times (sometimes 11 pm). He stays in the living room uses the bathroom and uses water and electricity I have to pay for. He is talking us down at every opportunity and always threatens us with court because he is part of the National Landlord association.

I can't take a call at the moment but I can respond online if that suits?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sure just please help me.

OK, just typing out an answer, please bear with me

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I pay whatever you want to have. The emotional distress this person is causing to me is really unbearable
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks a lot!!

Who is your local council? Islington?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think Hackney or Islington
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will check.

OK, the reason why I ask, the council regulates landlords. They fine landlords for environmental health issues and also you have a right to "quiet enjoyment" of the property which means the landlord cannot turn up without notice.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am pretty sure its hackney
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Omg it would be so great to have some help in here. Like I work 10 hours a day and just wanna sleep.

So tomorrow, you need to contact the environmental health department at Hackney Council :

Telephone:(###) ###-####4911

Email:***@******.***

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What should I say to them ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
About the weed or that he comes in unannounced or what exactly ?

You need to tell them the problems you are having - they will contact the landlord and the landlord should deal with the problem. If not then the council will prosecute the landlord (fine them)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much Jim. God bless you I wish I had contacted you earlier.

No problem, come back to me tomorrow if you need to.

I hope this helps - if you can please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, I can answer follow up questions at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will. Of course no problem at all. Thank you so much!!!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also what can I do now ? Are they allowed to stay longer than 10 pm in my living room ?

They shouldn't be there at all. Your landlord needs to give you notice that they will arrive. As they have not done that, the landlord has breached the terms of the agreement with you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He told me since this is a shared accommodation he doesn't need to give me notice when he wants to enter because my contract is only for my room.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He tells me that the painters will paint in Sho's room which is not part of my lease.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Like they are really loud and are still in the flat. Please tell me what to do. Please

The only thing you can do now is speak to the council first thing tomorrow morning.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh gosh. So I need to endure this now :(

If it's too much you can try the Police on the 101 number

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will they help in this case ? Like the landlord is in the living room. The cleaner also. Two other painters in another room. I just wanna have some privacy.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Like I am really scared calling the police.

They will help if there is a disturbance or if the landlord is doing something illegally. The 101 number is ***** a 999 call - if you call the 101 number they will just talk to you so don't worry about it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see haha thanks.

no problem!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jim,so my contract for my room ends at the 27th of August. My landlord wants to hold viewings tomorrow at 5pm and Tuesday. I told him that I want to be around if someone else enters my property. So I only accept viewings from Monday to Friday 8-9 am. Can I refuse my landlord the access? I really think he is an evil person. I don't want to do any viewings while I am still renting my room. Can I do that ? Thank you so much.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey Jim
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My landlord says he is permitted to enter my room given notice. That's wrong according to my research. Only in case of an emergency. Or am I wrong in here ?

Hi, It depends on the terms of your contract. You are entitled to quiet enjoyment of the property until the end of your tenancy agreement. If there is a clause for viewings in your contract then check what it says as you may be in breach of contract otherwise.

If you can post another question on the site please.