How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalNinja Your Own Question
LegalNinja, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 201
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LegalNinja is online now

I have been in contact with my deposit scheme and I paid my

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have been in contact with my deposit scheme and I paid my landlord £200 according to the deposit scheme only £150 has gone in the scheme.. I have my tenency and a bank statement of the money going to the landlord
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have sent emails and messages to the landlord and no reply
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No not yet,
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have got many emails in regards ***** ***** that I will go through,


Your Landlord is required to put the entire deposit in a tenancy deposit scheme. Your Landlord should have provided you with a copy of the Deposit Protection Certificate which will have details of the deposit protected. Please do ensure you check your tenancy agreement that the correct amount is stipulated.

There are penalties for Landlord who fail to protect your deposit within the required time limits. Please see below link with further guidance on this:

Does this answer your question?

LegalNinja and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On my tenecy agreement it states £200, they are refusing to give me my deposit back due to wallpaper being changed, I just need some help to get this deposit back and the correct amount. I was thinking a small claims Court

OK, your tenancy deposit scheme will offer a dispute resolution service if you disagree with the Landlord regarding how much should be returned to you. You should contact them directly to discuss.

With regard to the £50.00 which has not been protected, you may wish to claim this via the County Court. Please see below some more helpful guidance on how to do this:

Some more information can be found here on how you can go about this yourself:

Has this helped you today?