UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I had a question regarding my tenancy's holding deposit, Not

Hi I had a question regarding my tenancy's holding deposit
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not so far. Could I offer you a little background on my situation?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Nottingham
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

What is your query please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I had paid the holding deposit with Centrick Nottingham for an apartment in "North West Building" worth 1 week's rent. I was to take possession on Saturday the 6th of July 2019. I had asked the staff in the office to change my guarantor's email address to the correct one which they failed to do so and sent the DocuSign contract over to the incorrect email address and hence my guarantor was not able to sign it and I was not able to take possession. I asked them to refund and allocate my holding deposit to another apartment with a later lease in the same building with the same rent but they refused to refund it.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i would not be able to call

Who made the error with the guarantor's email address?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I had written down the incorrect email address on the form but had informed them shortly after. They had over 15 days time to look over it.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They had contacted him on the correct one a couple of times as well
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Thank you. Did they give the flat to someone else?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No, they have listed it on zoopla now. I took a July lease because I needed to shift my stuff from my old house to the new one, but since they could not hand over possession, I have to make another trip to Nottingham to discuss a new lease.

If they refuse to utilise the holding fee for another property, you may then consider sending them a legal demand as it is not your fault that they did not correct the email address.

At the moment, it seems that you are still trying to negotiate with them and I hope it goes well, otherwise you may send them a letter demanding the money back and giving them say 21 days to return the money (14 days is the minimum required by law).

If they still fail to refund, you may file a claim online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

All the best. Please click 5 stars

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Alright thanks mate