Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Thanks for your reply. Responses to local questions have, to

Thanks for your reply.Responses to local questions have, to date, not identified an owner. If this continues what steps may I take to seek ownership?If there is no registered title does this mean that the land is not legally owned by anyone and hence may be claimed and registered?

Hi again,

I am afraid it is not as easy as just claiming the land. Just because the Land is not registered does not mean no one owns it- about 20% of UK land is unregistered and it just means that the ownership of the land in question has been in the same person's ownership for so long that it has never been a requirement to get it registered.

In order to claim land, you have to have possessed the land exclusively without objection or the consent of the legal owner for 12 years. Once you have possessed for 12 years, you can then make an application to the Land Registry for possessory title.

I hope this sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al