How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 270
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I lookin a solicitor advice, because I have problem with my

This answer was rated:

I lookin a solicitor advice, because I have problem with my landlord. I cant live in a property, because it is unsafe and I have a proof, but landlord don't wont to sorted out this.

Hi there I would be happy to help with this if can you provide a little more information and I can advise accordingly

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much for quick response. I rent a flat and after month discover, that another flat (my neighbor) has connection yo my meter. I paid for two flats. I informed landlord, but she starting to say, that it can be true and we need to get a independent electronic conclusion if I don't believe her. I have this conclusion and plus that connection is not save to my life, therefore i moved to another flat, but I have paid for all term, my agreement for 6 month. According contract i need to pay for all period.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How to get money back for electronicity and for rent, because I con not live there. Landlord say that it is my folt and that I damaged connection. It is not true.

Sorry, are you asking if you have to pay for the full contract period? How long did you stay there before you moved, and how long have you paid for and how long are you being asked to pay for?


Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My contract from march till August. I moved from 1 July to new flat, but starting from april I ask for electronicity compensation and for independent electronic report. Before I moved I stay 4 month.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
10th of may i receive a conclusion from independent electric company and all time asking for repair.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This text from his solicitor. "My client is looking to undertake a full investigation in to how the wires were damaged and my client believes that the wiring may have been tampered with, along with the connection to 10c. My client also understands that staff have been threatened when attempting to fix damage that has been caused. These are very serious allegations and will be thoroughly investigated and if necessary prosecuted through the appropriate authorities."

Thank you for that information, so can I ask what is it you are asking precisely so that I can provide an accurate answer. thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I asking for how I can get compensation for two month, for expertise, for another flat electricity.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
expenses for another flat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We asking for gas certificate, but landlord doesn't provide. We can't get from landlord anything.

by all means yes, you can get compensation for the extra bills you have incurred as this was not your responsibility to pay these. However, the difficulty is deeming who is responsible for the error. You could possibly argue that your landlord has a responsibility to jeep the household up to standard, and obviously an electric meter that is supplying 2 houses does not comply. If you take this approach then you would be looking to get the money back from the landlord. If you still owe monies to the landlord then you could reasonably reduce the amount owed to them the difference you have paid via the meter. Alternatively, if you could show that the neighbours have intentionally stole the electricity from you the. you would be able to purse them through the civil courts for the costs you have incurred. You would also be able to recover any legal costs in doing so. If the landlord continues to refuse to deal with you the you can make a complaint about them to to a local councillor or MP then if the problems persist the you should make an official complaint to the local council. I understand that you will be very frustrated having to pay for two electric bills as this is very unfair. However, in reality you may have some difficulty getting the money back for this however, I would pursue it and see if you can either way. Sometime the threat of legal action is enough to encourage people to "right the wrong".

I would be obliged if you could "accept" the answer and leave me positive feedback so that the site knows I have responded to you. You can continue to ask me follow up questions should you have any.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Neighbor doesn't have his own meter and he don't pay for electricity, he has agreement all inclusive

That is interesting, it sounds like it may be his landlord who has done it then. That is just speculation but an interesting thought. I would definitely look at pursuing your landlord in the first intense, it may then be up to them to investigate where this issue has arisen from and then seek compensation themselves. I hope this has answered your question.

I would be obliged if you could "accept" the answer and leave me positive feedback so that the site knows I have responded to you. You can continue to ask me follow up questions should you have any.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do i need to click on finish by rating?

Yes thank you I hope I have helped you should have the option to "accept" the answer and you can give me a star rating about if you wish. Many thanks

Ross Miller and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I live in Uk only 4 month, I don't know what is it MP. Could you please explain how to complain, becouse I call to council and nobody accept my complain. I went to sitizen advice, but they gave me a solicitor which do not work with housing and tenant problems. I call to electric company, but they say that is not his jurisdiction. At the moment most important to receive for two month, because I can't live there.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Before moved to another flat, I switched my meter to pay as you go and when in another flat disappeared electricity, landlord connect to another flat. Now we don't have expenses for electricity, but all connection is unsafe.

MP is your local member of parliament, If you revisit the citizens advice bureau you could ask them to assist you in drafting a letter of complaint and ask them who your local MP is they should know and should be able to assist you with drafting the letter. I hope you get this issue sorted soon.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you prepare this letter of complaint and how much it will costs?

This is not a service which would be provided through this website, however, most local solicitors would be able to do this for you. You would be advised to "shop about" and see what prices you are able to get. You can find a list of local solicitors at;

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What can I ask in letter of complaint and do I receive my money back from Landlord? How long after complain I can get a result.

It is not possible for myself to give an answer on the timeline it really depends on how long it takes them to respond. If you instruct a solicitor to write to them then they will be able to advise as to who they feel is responsible. It is difficult to say without doing an investigation into the matter. However, if the landlord receives a letter asking for the issue to be sorted it is likely the there evil be some investigation done into the matter to establish liability.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could you please explain, why it necessary investigation to establish liability, if property belong to the landlord? I had complain to landlord from both flats.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does the landlord not responsible for gas and electricity safety?

Yes the landlord is responsible, however as I stated above if the neighbour has tampered with the electric settings then they would be the ones who are ultimately liable for the fee. However, I would address the initial letter to the landlord to establish communication and start the process going.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In the mutual complaint to the landlord we asked to disconnect the another flat from my apartment, as soon as the neighbor became aware that he was connected to us. This means that a neighbor could not make a connection to my apartment. I have long conversation throw email with landlord, but more than three month they don't want to resolve the problem. They always starting say that I damage connection and neighbor starting spend my electricity.

In that case then it would be best to have the letter put to your landlord. Based on the evidence you solicitor may wish to argue that they are liable and ask them to pay you the money back which you are out of pocket for. I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This letters I sent to my landlord, but more than 3 month he didn't want to recover my experiences. I have from landlord email where after complain he sent electric company to check the problem, but after checking everything is good. It is mean that he knew about it and it is not my and naighbor folt. Only when i received independent inspection, he started to scare me that it is my folt.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am so sorry, that I spend a lot of your time, I just want to know my chances. Unfortunately landlord has big group of people more than 5 and the one by one scare me.

In order to assess your chances you will have to show a solicitor the evidence you have gathered in relation to the issues. However, you wish to try doing this through you local citizens advice bureau before you start to incur legal expenses. I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thank you.