UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I wish to buy the freehold for my property through voluntary

I wish to buy the freehold for my property through voluntary agreement. Do I need a solicitor to deal with this if I have already contacted the freeholder directly?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I approached them to see if this was a possibility. They gave me a purchase price plus their legal fees cost, with no additional valuation fees. It is now up to me so I’m unsure of next steps
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet. That is what I want to check. Mainly how much legal work is involved and the likely cost.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is the response I received from the freehold company.

You may instruct a local solicitor to handle the process of transferring the freehold to you. Any local solicitor who handles property conveyancing should be able to assist.

The cost should be a few hundred pounds, it is a question of shopping around for the best quote.

May I help further?

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, that’s great thanks.