Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

If i own a property which is on the market for sale and has

Customer Question

If i own a property which is on the market for sale and has negative equity, can i claim housing benefit for another rental i wish to stay in?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message, unfortunately if you own a house you could stay in then you will not be eligible for housing benefit. I understand this may not be the news you want but I would appreciate if you could still accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But the reason im leaving is to flee domestic violence..does that provide grounds for exceptional circumstances
Thank you for your message, then yes that is different you should contact the council and they should find you housing as a matter of urgency. Failing this, you can also try a local women’s refuge. If you need help finding one you can contact the National Donestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.