Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

Looking for help with a landlord dispute re:

Customer Question

Hi there - looking for help with a landlord dispute re: misrepresentation of the property during viewings / negotiations to get a lease agreed (amongst other things) - landlord has now just started trying to evict me as a result
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have received paperwork from his solicitor, and i've spoken with the council
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London NW5
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There are a host of things - landlord has illegally entered my flat, has been harassing and stalking me, and fabricating things in an attempt to find grounds to evict me - he's just had his lawyers send me a Section 8 for 2 months of rent arrears which is also completely false
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He advertised the property with a roof terrace (and I said I wouldn't get a place with no outside space), it's in the marketing materials. I then was harassed by neighbours for using the roof terrace (which was shown to me during both of my viewings as part of the flat, it requires access through the ceiling and I would not have known it existed otherwise), the neighbours complained to the council, the council informed me it was built illegally and without planning permissions and that the landlord will be required to refund my rent from my entire tenancy (which started in April) as a result
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I moved in in April. He informed me in July that I am 'not allowed' to use my terrace anymore (without which I would never have taken the flat in the first place) because it doesn't have planning permissions (he built the flat himself and I am his first tenant). And he has now got his lawyer trying to evict me, while I have got the council telling me he has to refund all of my rent. I withheld my August rent (and advised him of this in writing) while looking for a new flat so am currently in arrears by just shy of a month, and I have already found a new flat and given notice for October (which is the soonest my new flat is available) which i've also advised him of in writing. I was under the impression a Section 8 one cannot be served until rent is minimum 2 months in arrears (which for me would be October), and the point of it is to attempt to remove a tenant, but I have already found a new place and advised him i'm leaving because he is forcing me out though he is the one completely in the wrong.
But I cannot stand to be made so uncomfortable in my own home and he has been so intrusive and stalker-ish it feels like i'm constantly under surveillance (would not be surprised if there are cameras in my flat somewhere), he acts like it is still his home not mine, he entered without permission or notice while I was out of town and money was missing from my dining table when I got back and all the lights were left on, and I apparently no longer have any outside space though this was promised to me as part of the flat which is also unacceptable for me
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 11 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this, however, I will get back to you tomorrow if that is ok as I have just picked this up and thee is a lot of information to go through. Thank you.