UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I dont know if you can help me or not, but I recently moved

Good morning, I dont know if you can help me or not, but I recently moved into a new rented property and they have made a mistake by putting my children as tenants and occupiers.....I have been advised that they need to be removed from the tenancy part as they are not liable for the rent. But to be kept as occupiers, I have asked the lady at the lettings agency, but she was really shirty with me and said no as it's a legal document. Is there anyway I can ask her to do it?
Assistant: What steps have your tenants taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I'm not sure I know what you mean....sorry
Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Minors (under 18) may enter into contracts but the minor may elect not to bound by such a contract until they turn 18.

You do not need to worry and you may leave it as it is. Your children may not be held liable for rent until they turn 18.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
please
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I cant afford that amount for the phone call sorry

Please leave a positive rating. We do not need to call.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My children are both over 18, but they were only named as tenants because they wanted to take their wages into account for affordability for rent as we're low income. However they did not use their wages as they work for us in our shop. So they should have been taken off the tenants part, but named as occupiers....how can I get the estate agent to change these details? Without them being removed from the tenancy part, we cannot claim for help with our rent

I am afraid you may only remove their names if the landlord agrees to this. If the landlord does not agree, I am afraid you are stuck.

As your children are over 18 years.

Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thank you

You are welcome.