How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6657
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I dont know if you can help me or not, but I recently moved

This answer was rated:

Good morning, I dont know if you can help me or not, but I recently moved into a new rented property and they have made a mistake by putting my children as tenants and occupiers.....I have been advised that they need to be removed from the tenancy part as they are not liable for the rent. But to be kept as occupiers, I have asked the lady at the lettings agency, but she was really shirty with me and said no as it's a legal document. Is there anyway I can ask her to do it?
Assistant: What steps have your tenants taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I'm not sure I know what you mean....sorry
Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you


Minors (under 18) may enter into contracts but the minor may elect not to bound by such a contract until they turn 18.

You do not need to worry and you may leave it as it is. Your children may not be held liable for rent until they turn 18.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cant afford that amount for the phone call sorry

Please leave a positive rating. We do not need to call.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My children are both over 18, but they were only named as tenants because they wanted to take their wages into account for affordability for rent as we're low income. However they did not use their wages as they work for us in our shop. So they should have been taken off the tenants part, but named as can I get the estate agent to change these details? Without them being removed from the tenancy part, we cannot claim for help with our rent

I am afraid you may only remove their names if the landlord agrees to this. If the landlord does not agree, I am afraid you are stuck.

As your children are over 18 years.

Please click on 5 stars

UKSolicitorJA and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you

You are welcome.