How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Miles-Solicitor Your Own Question
Miles-Solicitor, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 899
Experience:  Director / Principal Solicitor at WIN Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Miles-Solicitor is online now

I have a question. It is time for me to renew my tenancy

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon! I have a question. It is time for me to renew my tenancy agreement but the landlord asked for a higher price. We agreed via emails that they will do some renovations if we pay this increased price. Is it possible to include in the extension of the tenancy agreement that we will only pay that increase rent if they renovate the discussed rooms in a reasonable timeframe? Thank you very much
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We are about to sign the renewal agreement but this aspect is not mentioned
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Harlow UK
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We rent through and agency


I am sorry to learn of your situation.I am a Qualified Solicitor, with over 19 years of experience in the UK.Your Landlord mentioned when will they be undertaking the renovation?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for coming back to me! She did not mention a specific date but “soon”. So far she is just sending over contractors and today the third one was meant to come and he didn’t even show up. And I send an email to the agency and they did not even reply to us.

I am just typing up your response please bear with me. Thanks.

It may be better for you to suggest to the Agent/ Landlord that you on to a "rolling contract" at the current rent ("Lesser Rent") until the renovations are complete and then, with a backstop date, by which the renovations must be completed. In exchange, you will be happy to sign/ enter a new Tenancy Agreement, with the higher Rent, when the works are complete.

In the alternative, theoretically, you could specify in the New Tenancy Agreement that you pay the Lesser Rent until the renovations are done by, and specify such a date by which they must be completed, further if the backstop date is missed, then you continue to pay the Lesser Rent but are also free to leave the Tenancy with say, 1 month Notice (Break Clause).

Please do not sign a Tenancy Agreement that you are not happy with!

I trust this assists, If you need a CALL to discuss and more in-depth advice, then please let me know.
If not then kindly leave a Positive Rating so JustAnswer can credit me for my time.
It was my pleasure to assist you today.

The Positive Rating can be provided by clicking the STARS on the top of your Screen


Good Afternoon,

May I assist you further?


Miles-Solicitor and 4 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much for your answer! It is really helpful!