Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I have signed a contract to start on the 7th september.

Hi i have signed a contract to start on the 7th september. however the studio wasnt ready as it was still dirty, alot of remaining items left by previous tenant and no curtain. There are furnitures that are agreed to be moved but wasnt moved
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: i have made a complaint to the agent, escalate to the manager, customer service
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Pan Peninsula. Since the 7th, they have been giving empty promises on daily basis that the apartment will be ready. Cleaning was officially completed on the 9th. However there are loads of previous tenant property left in apartment
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they forced me to sign the inventory check prior cleaning and moved as of now the curtain is not up. and its a huge glass balcony window . its basically the size and width of the studio. It has no privacy. i can see opposite building they expect me to move in now. and refused to compensate paid accomodation since the 7th

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter.

Do you have a copy of the agreement you can upload?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sure
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
tenancy

Thank you I will need some time to look at this but will revert to you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
some pictures of the state of the apartment
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Ross, have you gotten a chance to look at it?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
basically they have said despite no curtain as per agreement, they claimed it is an habitable condition and is not willing to compensate

This basically boils down to a contractual issue, they do not appear to be upholding their side of the contractual agreement (providing a habitat unit). The first step would be to explain this to them and also explain that you would have a claim for breach of contract. If they do not get the room into the condition to which it is reasonably habitable then you would be able to claim for the money you have spent already. The court would not consider this to be unreasonable. Alternatively you could have. legal letter sent to them which may encourage them to the right thing and set the contract back in place ready for you to use.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions.

Ross

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Ross till this moment the apt is not ready
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I withdraw from renting the property

I would say that you could withdraw, as if they have not help up their end of the contract then the contract can be voided. Seems like the simple solution would just be for them to get it in a habitable state. However, this is not the case.