Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My mother is in a residential home and has been told by

My mother is in a residential home and has been told by social services that she must sell the home. I have found out that the house was valued on Tuesday and auctioned on Wednesday, and I have just found out that my mother has signed the agreement, and she will no longer own the house after 27 September. Is there anything i cando to stop it .
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: It is in Walsall West midlands.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none not yet as i have only just found out.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The only thing is , the people who are giving mom advice is her second cousins and family. I have had no information on what is going on until I had a text message about 30 minutes ago.ps I have got a copy of the will and i was next in line to inherit the property.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. I am afraid that if Contracts have been exchanged, there is a legally binding agreement between your Mother and her Buyer and as such, your Mother is unable to withdraw from the transaction now. Whichever Solicitor is acting for your Mother would have made sure that your Mother was aware of this (although I do not know if any family member has Power of Attorney, but if they do, they would have had the right to sign the Contract on behalf of your Mother).

Although I appreciate you are in line to inherit your Mother's estate, this makes no difference I am afraid as a Will only comes into effect when your Mother dies and only applies to assets owned by her at the time of her death.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but if I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards Al