How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 16732
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I need to get out of a 18 month signed tenancy agreement but

This answer was rated:

Hi I need to get out of a 18 month signed tenancy agreement but the estate agent says I have to stay for the remaining time please can you advise on how I get out of this?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I’ve made the request and they have said no
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Old Windsor Berkshire
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: 18 month agreement from Feb 2019- August 2020

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Can you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I moved with my two children to a private let in Windsor Feb 2019 and signed an 18 month contract with no break clause - I need to get out of the contract 9 months in as I am relocating to Yorkshire for work and my sons education. I Have asked the estate agent if they would ask the landlord to honour this and they came back straight away and said that because I have signed an 18 month contract I must stay in the property .

What does it say about termination?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It doesn’t say anything it says the landlord can give two months notice and the tennant one month before contract expires
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Or I can get written permission from the landlord to leave but the estate agent won’t even ask the landlord

Then you should write a formal letter to the Landlord.

The address should be on the contract.

They are OBLIGED to inform the Landlord.

In law you are liable for the whole term unless you are released early.

Usually, you would have to pay any re-letting fees and charges, plus rent for the empty period.

But they are required to give the Landlord your letter.

If they refuse then you can go to the Ombudsman:

Ask them who their professional body is and make a complaint to them.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer, the button should be at the top of the screen. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so you think it is likely I can leave before next August? I was also burgled and there was NO follow up care or empathy following this and I don’t feel safe in this house

Its down to the Landlord. But they should ask

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what should I say in the letter?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
does the letter go directly to the landlord ?

Yes and you want out and the reasons why.
Say about the agents and you are freighted for your safety.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thank you

Can I assist with anything else today?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just unclear on who I should give the letter to?

Landlord. That is who your contract is with.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you