Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

Please could you help with this issue with our tennant. We

Good evening. Please could you help with this issue with our tennant. We have supplied a dishwasher which the tennant claims isn't working. We sent round an engineer who fixed the problem. It was a blocked pipe apparently. Prior to this he said the soap dispenser doesn't open so we have always just thrown the tablet in side and it washes fine. The annoying thing is he than demanded another call out because the dispenser doesn't work. I am annoyed because he should have brought that up during the call out. He is now trying to make us buy him a new dishwasher band making threats of withholding rent. I have said I have done everything I can and the dishwasher washes the dishes and I will not supply a new one. Am I breaking my tenancy agreement? The bottom line is the dispenser has never opened so we have always just thrown the tablet in when we lived there. I feel he is being unreasonable. Is there anyway I can get rid of him because it's a constant barrage.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello. Can the solicitor who helped me before answer the question? Are you able to see who that was and forward my question to him?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is there anyone who is able to help or should I go elsewhere for advice. Please let me know

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help, please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello. Yes I do what someone to help with this. My complaints to customer services over the last few days were because my first qestion got cancelled within an hour and I had to resend it and the response time was stated on your website was misleading. I merely thought there was something wrong with the website. I wasn't expecting an answer straight away just confirmation I would still get one. So if you could look at my issue with my tennant I would be grateful.

Apologies for the delay, Firstly, he cannot withhold your rent just because a dispenser does not open. As long as the machine is working to an acceptable and reasonable standard then you are fulfilling your obligations as a Landlord. If the machine is broken to the point it is not working or providing the service it is meat to then yes, you would have to fix it. However, if it is a case of placing a tablet instead of putting it in a drawer compantement then this is certainly not grounds to withhold rent, if he does then he is in breach of contract. Also even if a Tennant legally withholds rent they have to be able to show that the rent money was "placed" elsewere, this shows that they have kept it aside and are willing to pay once issues are resolved. This stops people from just spending the rent they were meant to pay just because they have overexadurated and issue. I would send them a stern letter highlighting this and stating that if they do not pay rent then they are in breach of contract (however, evicting people with the new housing laws also comes with its problems). I hope this information helps.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Ross

Ross Miller,
Experience: Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions