Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I need to find the owner of a property that is not on the

Customer Question

I need to find the owner of a property that is not on the Land Registry, it is a house next door to mine
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have checked with the Land Registry and they have confirmed they have no records for the propertys as owned before 1990 and its on a private estate. The cureent tenants are renting bit they do not speak Ebglish are are unwilling to give any info
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Bognor Regis, Middleton on Sea, west sussex
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 month ago.

1. The first thing you need to realise is that only 88% of land in England & Wales is registered land. The remainder is unregistered land for which title has to be searched for in one of the Registry of Deeds which are spread throughout the country. However, you should also look at the adjoining properties, particularly the private estate as this will provide a clue as to who is the owner as there will most likely be a deed registered in one of the Registry of Deeds which transfer this property from the private estate to someone else's ownership. Essentially, in order to successfully trace the owner today you need to carry out some detective work and get the name of someone who once owned it and then trace the ownership in the Registry of Deeds. Here is a link to a guide which sets out how to trace the owner of an unregistered piece of land. https://hmlandregistry.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/05/search-owner-unregistered-land/. One place to look is the Sussex County Records Office as someone will have paid valuation duty at some stage on the land. Additonally, because there is a house on the land, you should search the planning records to see who made an application for planning permission as this would indicate ownership of the house and land. You should check the Electoral Register to see who is registered there. Additionally, because you own the property next door, there is likely to be a similar previous owner to your own house. So, this can be a starting point for searching for a deed in the Registry of Deeds which would suggest an owner today.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 month ago.

2. I would also suggest you speak to some solicitor in the local area who has been at least in practice since 1990 as they might not only remember who was there in previous years, but they will also know the local property titles and be able to help you with your search. They will have professional and local knowledge from working in the area for so long.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 month ago.

3. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.