How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15302
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have been a private tenant for 18 years. The original

Customer Question

I have been a private tenant for 18 years. The original Assured Short Hold Tenancy expired 17 years ago and was left to run accordingly. The landlord retained my original deposit and has not lodged it with an independent source. I am always on time with my rent and take care of all necessary repairs. The property is unfurnished. Today the landlord said that he wants me to sign a new tenancy agreement and suggested that he gives the deposit back to me. What security of tenure do I have ?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: None
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Loughton in Essex
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I live with my 25 year old daughter who has learning difficulties
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

What security do you have now or will have if you sign?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have non other than I have been here for 18 years
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Yes but I don’t understand which time period you are asking about? Currently, or going forward. Thanks.