SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I am a severely disabled pensioner who bought the freehold

I am a severely disabled pensioner who bought the freehold of a house converted into 2 one bedroom flats . The upper flat is leased but i am the owner of it. Can a solicitor help someone to buy the flat for a tenant without my involvement
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I need to know if it is against any laws
JA: Where is the freehold located?
Customer: I own the freehold. It is a terraced house one flat downstairs my onbe one flat upstaiirs
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes the solicitors firm that i used in buying the house is the same one who did the legal work for my tenant before she moved in 6years after i bought it

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. Your question is not very clear. Are you looking to sell your flat and wanting to engage a solicitor to do everythng on your behalf without your involvement? or are you asking whether it is legal for a solicitor to have sold a flat that you own without your involvement?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I bought my flat in a 2bedroom house and i am the freeholder the other flat i s leased by mee i bought it in 1996 and my solicitor sold a part of my house i. the other flat without teeling me and will nor give me detail
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
i am a signed up member i should not have to pay again
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I think that you did not realize that i am already a member.I also have had Parkinson's for 13 years & cannot remember phone calls for long and have nothing to refer to so i prefer emails if you still want to help i will make it clearer

Hi, thank you very much for the clarification and do not worry calls are offered to all customers automatically however you can ignore call offers and continue with typing. No solicitor is permitted to act for a client without that client's instructions to do so. I am therefore quite surprised that the solicitor managed to sell part of your property without seeking your prior authorisation. You ought to send a written complaint to the solicitor's firm and requesting that they look into your complaint and to give their decision in writing. If you have suffered any financial loss as a result of the sale you should look to claim damages from them. If their decision is not satisfactory and unfair and unreasonable you will be able to escalate your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman. I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. My apologies for the delay in reverting back to you, I have been offline. All the best

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for helping but the solicitors firm are not responding to my letters. As i am a severely disabled pensioner they think that i will not know what to do. Neil Patters of the property 118 website has suggested i complain to the law society but i am not sure if they deal with this but i will try the ombudsman thank you

The law society do not deal with complaints against solicitors. solicitors answer to the Solicitors Regulation authority however all complaints are handled on their behalf by the legal ombudsman. You can therefore complain to the LEgal Ombudsman and specify in your complaint that you have been writing to the solicitors and they are ignoring your correspondence. They may contact them to prompt them to respond before logging the complaint for their investigation.

SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK