Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Can my landlord change the locks on my commercial property

Customer Question

Can my landlord change the locks on my commercial property is rent hasn’t been paid down to a dispute of money
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Nothing has been put in writing yet
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Stourbridge
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Rent hasn’t been paid for about 4 months but he’s changed my locks and I’ve tried to arrange several times to move my stuff but he’s always awkward and asks for money then don’t allow me entry, he’s now told me he’s moving my stuff out and charging me
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 days ago.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 days ago.

Does your lease have a right of re-entry in it?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Jamie,
My tenancy ran out in February this year, I remained a tenant until recently when the landlord changed the locks without my consent and has denied me access for about 2 months now. I’ve tried to resolve the problem with the landlord as he wants me out of the property and like I’ve said previously every time I try to arrange something he throws an obstruction in the way (wanting money) and then doesn’t allow me access to move my stuff out.
As for the the conditions of the tenancy I’m unsure of as the tenancy agreement is in the unit itself.
Regards Darren
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’ve also told the landlord not to move my belongings as I’m now seeking legal advice as to where we go from here..
He’s just informed me also that he is removing my property this week and I’ve asked him to wait until Friday 18th (a week Friday) but he’s refused to wait until then, reason I’ve asked him to wait is I work on the roads and I’m only in the area once every month when I’m home.
Regards Darren
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 days ago.

Are you in arrears?