LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

I am having troubles with a letting agency. I signed with

Customer Question

Hi, I am having troubles with a letting agency. I signed with them a contract on 5th October, I paid one month deposit plus one Month rent in advance, but the house is a cold basement, nothing works and I'd like to cut the contract and find something different, I am willing to lose the money, but they are acting like bullies, they told me the contract has no break clause and I must honore it till the end (12months).
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: There's a way to cut the contract and get rid of them?
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: 63-64 Middle Street Brighton
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No think it's all
Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

Did you view the property prior to moving in?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yeah, but they assured me everything would have been fixed before I would have moved in. I trusted them and that was my bad, the heating is not working, the wardrobe is broken, the wifi is not working as well, and moreover I want to leave that basement cause it's stinky and full of mold and warms.
Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

Your Landlord is responsible for repair works. If your Landlord refuses to do the repairs, you can complain to your local council who have special powers to take action against Landlords for such types of issues. Please see below link with helpful guidance on reporting problems to environmental health of your local council:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/complain_to_environmental_health_about_rented_housing

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don't want get involved in a fight with them, I just want to cut the contract. Is there any possibility to do it?
Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

The only way that this would be possible is by mutual agreement with your Landlord/agents or via a break clause in the tenancy agreement.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
if i will move somewhere else without paying the rent and leave them the keys?
Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

I would suggest that you negotiate an end to your contract. Here is some helpful guidance on how to approach your Landlord/agents:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/how_tenants_can_end_a_fixed_term_tenancy

Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

If you move out without notifying the Landlord/agent, you could be pursued for rent as you will be liable for the fixed term.

Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

Is there anything else?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I've tried already and they refused. That's why I wrote they are acting like bullies
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm sorry to tell you that, but that wasn't of any help
Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

You do have legal remedies available to you however it appears you do not wish to go down this path.

Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

No, I completely understand your situation.

Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

Can I help with anything else?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It's not me, I just wrote you I'm even willing to lose all the money, they categorically refused. It's not me
Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

I think you should complain to your local council.

Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

You are entitled to this as your Landlord is responsible for any repair works to the property.

Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
You didn't help me at all, u just suggested me to complain somewhere else about broken things,something I already knew. Have a nice day
Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

Well you stated about that you "don't want to get involved in a fight with them". I have given you your options and apologies if this is not what you wanted to hear but this is the case.

Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

As I mentioned, you do have legal remedies that you may pursue but this is entirely your choice.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
If they'll repair broken things I still have to stay there, so there's no point. That's not what I asked. I asked about cut the contract
Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

and I gave you the answer...

Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

I am not sure what else you require?

Expert:  LegalNinja replied 8 days ago.

Do you require any further assistance? Otherwise I can mark this question as completed.