LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

I am having troubles with a letting agency. I signed with

Customer Question

Hi, I am having troubles with a letting agency. I signed with them a contract on 5th October, I paid one month deposit plus one Month rent in advance, but the house is a cold basement, nothing works and I'd like to cut the contract and find something different, I am willing to lose the money, but they are acting like bullies, they told me the contract has no break clause and I must honore it till the end (12months).
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: There's a way to cut the contract and get rid of them?
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: 63-64 Middle Street Brighton
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No think it's all
Expert:  LegalNinja replied 4 months ago.

Did you view the property prior to moving in?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah, but they assured me everything would have been fixed before I would have moved in. I trusted them and that was my bad, the heating is not working, the wardrobe is broken, the wifi is not working as well, and moreover I want to leave that basement cause it's stinky and full of mold and warms.

Your Landlord is responsible for repair works. If your Landlord refuses to do the repairs, you can complain to your local council who have special powers to take action against Landlords for such types of issues. Please see below link with helpful guidance on reporting problems to environmental health of your local council:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/complain_to_environmental_health_about_rented_housing

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't want get involved in a fight with them, I just want to cut the contract. Is there any possibility to do it?

The only way that this would be possible is by mutual agreement with your Landlord/agents or via a break clause in the tenancy agreement.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if i will move somewhere else without paying the rent and leave them the keys?

I would suggest that you negotiate an end to your contract. Here is some helpful guidance on how to approach your Landlord/agents:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/how_tenants_can_end_a_fixed_term_tenancy

If you move out without notifying the Landlord/agent, you could be pursued for rent as you will be liable for the fixed term.

Is there anything else?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've tried already and they refused. That's why I wrote they are acting like bullies
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry to tell you that, but that wasn't of any help

You do have legal remedies available to you however it appears you do not wish to go down this path.

No, I completely understand your situation.

Can I help with anything else?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's not me, I just wrote you I'm even willing to lose all the money, they categorically refused. It's not me

I think you should complain to your local council.

You are entitled to this as your Landlord is responsible for any repair works to the property.

Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You didn't help me at all, u just suggested me to complain somewhere else about broken things,something I already knew. Have a nice day

Well you stated about that you "don't want to get involved in a fight with them". I have given you your options and apologies if this is not what you wanted to hear but this is the case.

As I mentioned, you do have legal remedies that you may pursue but this is entirely your choice.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If they'll repair broken things I still have to stay there, so there's no point. That's not what I asked. I asked about cut the contract

and I gave you the answer...

I am not sure what else you require?

Do you require any further assistance? Otherwise I can mark this question as completed.