Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I live in a privately rented apartment, in Skipton, North

Customer Question

I live in a privately rented apartment, in Skipton, North Riding of Yorkshire. I have lived here for eight years. I applied for a Smart meter to be installed, some months ago. I informed the agency who the owner employed to take care of any issue, I might have, and over the eight years, everything has been OK. Until I asked the agency, if it was alright to have a Smart meter fitted. They inturnasked the owner, who replied: "No, because I don't like them". Is that excuse acceptable, when I'm living on my pension, with a Mental breakdown as well?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, I just asked if it was possible to have a meter fitted, she said no, the agent won't ask again, so I thought I'd ask someone in the know. I just need a straightforward answer, Yes I can, No I can't from a legal perspective.
JA: Where is the apartment located?
Customer: Ground Floor?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 days ago.

Just top be clear, anything in your agreement that prevents you from doing this?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Will need to check, however the company I deal with, says that the agreement in paying the Bill's, is between them and me. I need to try and at least attempt to reduce my bills, this will help. I'm a pensioner, also living with a mental breakdown, so if I can reduce my outgoings, it might just go somehow, with my mental state.
Regards Barry
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 days ago.

Ok, I can't see how he can stop you.
I would just get it done. You are renting, you are not demolishing a wall or anything.

So unless its against your agreement then you can do it

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.