How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1126
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I am two and a half years into a three year commercial

Customer Question

I am two and a half years into a three year commercial property lease, that was originally meant to have an annual rent increase. At the end of year one I told the landlord I did not think it was worth the rent I am paying, never mind an increase. He agreed not to increase the rent (on 14/01/19 he confirmed this in an email vis "I have as yet not asked for the increase in rent as required for year 2 and have set it aside for consideration.").Either the landlord or his factotum have always turned up to collect the rent with receipts already made out for the original (year 1) rent amount - which has always been paid. The concept of arrears has never once been mentioned - until...When I recently tried to negotiate a reduction in the rent I got a written response saying that because the rent had not been increased in years 2 and 3, I am now effectively in arrears and the landlord intends to keep my deposit.Am I correct in thinking there must be a difference between me not paying the rent and the landlord deciding not to ask for an increase?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hull, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. I've continued paying the rent as usual.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The landlord has also pointed out that he has the right to re-enter the property and seize fixtures and fittings if the rent is in arrears - but what if I don't own the fixtures and fittings?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name as Ross and I wondered if you were still looking for assistance in this matter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Give me 10 minutes or so before switching to a call please. I'll click the "Call" button as soon as I'm free...
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 4 months ago.

I can answer by text as you don't have to take the call if you would prefer my answer on here. Kind regards that

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, let's go ahead on here then...
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 4 months ago.

Firstly, keep paying the standard rent you have been. Can you tell me when did the landlord first tell you that the rent was increased (rough date) and when did he say it was being back dated until i.e. 3 month, a year? Thank you.

Expert:  Ross Miller replied 4 months ago.


Are you still looking for help with this matter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Ross,
Yes I am but I'm currently on holiday in Mexico, so it's a little more difficult. I'm back on 29th October, by which time this matter will be a big priority for me.
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 4 months ago.

No problem, just be careful that the question time does not expire. Are you able to provide the information I requested above and I can give some advice on the matter?