How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3656
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My boyfriend and I were renting a one bedroom flat in

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, my name is***** boyfriend and I were renting a one bedroom flat in Bayswater until beginning of September. Since the inventory happened, Our landlord is asking for some damage payment that we find really not appropriate for the type of damage..
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We haven’t taken any legal step so far
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no, you’re the first person that we are talking to about it
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The damage is about 1sqm of wood floor. Somehow we managed to stain her wood floor in the kitchen, and the landlord is asking for £450 of damage cost for us to pay. She is ok with us looking at other providers than the one who quoted this amount, but she insists on the criteria. And I believe she could refuse to go for the one we choose if she wants to, and I’m not sure if that’s legally right.. to my understanding if the provider is willing to do the exact same job that she wants to have done, we should be able to choose the provider?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
8220;The floor in the flat you have rented is a top quality European Oak floor from a reputable Central London supplier. With all due respect, I am not planning to bring anyone else but a professional company to fix it, who are fully insured and liable. It is bad news already that my floor has been damaged whilst in your tenancy, I am not planning to extend this damage.If you feel that the quote I have been provided is excessive, then I would recommend that you supply me with a contra-quote of a lower cost. It needs to come from a professional set up that provides the same level of service, guarantees and insurances.” That’s a part of the email she just sent us.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I hope someone can give us a legal advise on this to know if she is right to have full opinion on what company does the work or what’s our right as tenant.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 4 months ago.

Hi thank you for your message, the deposit should be protected within a deposit protection scheme therefore if you have a dispute with the landlord over the deposit therefore, they should confirm the deposit protection scheme with which the deposit is secured. You can therefore, contact the scheme and dispute the matter with them. That said, in terms of your rights more generally the landlord can claim against damage to the property beyond wear and tear, however, the amount claimed should be reasonable and cannot exceed the deposit. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.