How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3305
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

Assistant: How can I help? Well, it’s a long story but I

Customer Question

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Well, it’s a long story but I think I will have a mental breakdown soon... as it seems to be in a nightmare with no way out.. I have a fixed term contract for 2 years, still have 13 months to pay. My flatmate went crazy, insulting me and accusing me of stealing an invent amount of money from her room and threatening me
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: While all this happened I had my parents on the phone because I was scared
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Yes, they told me there is nothing I can do because it is my word against her word
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, tonight I came back home after a work trip I had to do the laundry as I have no underwear left and discovered that in my absence she hide all the stuff to clean the floor and to the laundry
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 5 months ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 5 months ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. I am sorry to hear of your situation. Regrettably if your have a fixed term joint tenancy agreement the only way you can leave without a penalty is if your landlord agrees to release you or if the other joint tenant agrees and your tenancy allows to get somebodyelse to move in when you leave. So in terms of the tenancy if the landlord and the other tenant wont agree to releasing you you are in a very difficult position and you would legally be liable to pay your rent till end of the agreement.

Now if the other tenant has taken your belongings, in your absence and without your authority that is theft you should report them to the police.You should not try and deal with it yourself because they may accuse you of harassing them. You should just take it to the police and they will be best to guide you on the appropriate action they will take. I hope this is useful and i would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best