SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Assistant: How can I help? Well, it’s a long story but I

Customer Question

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Well, it’s a long story but I think I will have a mental breakdown soon... as it seems to be in a nightmare with no way out.. I have a fixed term contract for 2 years, still have 13 months to pay. My flatmate went crazy, insulting me and accusing me of stealing an invent amount of money from her room and threatening me
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: While all this happened I had my parents on the phone because I was scared
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Yes, they told me there is nothing I can do because it is my word against her word
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, tonight I came back home after a work trip I had to do the laundry as I have no underwear left and discovered that in my absence she hide all the stuff to clean the floor and to the laundry
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 5 days ago.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 5 days ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. I am sorry to hear of your situation. Regrettably if your have a fixed term joint tenancy agreement the only way you can leave without a penalty is if your landlord agrees to release you or if the other joint tenant agrees and your tenancy allows to get somebodyelse to move in when you leave. So in terms of the tenancy if the landlord and the other tenant wont agree to releasing you you are in a very difficult position and you would legally be liable to pay your rent till end of the agreement.

Now if the other tenant has taken your belongings, in your absence and without your authority that is theft you should report them to the police.You should not try and deal with it yourself because they may accuse you of harassing them. You should just take it to the police and they will be best to guide you on the appropriate action they will take. I hope this is useful and i would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best