Helen Hill
Helen Hill, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB Law, Licensed Conveyancer and Probate Practitioner, Fellow of CILEx, Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
102395076

Assistant: How can I help? Is this for tenants? Assistant:

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Is this for tenants?
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: I have signed a new tenancy agreement for a fixed term of 1 year
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: London
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for your question. Please could you kindly advise what information you need about your new tenancy agreement so that we can assist?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Basically I need to terminate it early and I was wondering if there are any grounds to do so before waiting for the break clause period

Can you confirm that this is a commercial agreement? Are you able to scan a copy for review?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is residential

Unfortunately a residential tenancy for a fixed term cannot be terminated prior to the end of the break clause period. You could give notice to terminate it on that date, you wouldn't have to wait until the break clause date and then give further notice.

The best option would be to contact your landlord and see if they are prepared to negotiate your early release from the tenancy. If they are able to re-let the property quite easily they may be willing to do this.

I am sorry that this is probably not the answer you were hoping for but I hope it is useful.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is useful thank you. Could you also confirm that I could be charged a reasonable early end of Tennancy agreement fee?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
With the break clause, would the notice be included before it is up
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a 6 month break clause and a 2 month notice period
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is that 6 months before I can leave or 8

You can give notice at month 4 to terminate at the break point at month 6 so that you are giving the full 2 month's notice. Strictly speaking you are liable for the full rent for the period of the tenancy agreement as agreed at the outset but with the option to exercise the break clause. Any earlier than six months would have to be agreed by the landlord (called surrendering your tenancy) though they could enforce payment for the whole period.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But from the break clause they cannot?

Not if you notify them that you wish to exercise the break clause and give them the requisite notice to do so.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Perfect thank you!

You are most welcome. I would be very grateful if you could provide a rating for my assistance when prompted.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Of course