Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I live on a private drive with about 15 other properties. We

Customer Question

I live on a private drive with about 15 other properties. We maintain the road ourselves - it is not a public highway. There is only one way in i.e. it is a dead end. We have seen a number of thefts recently and are considering installing a CCTV camera at the entrance to capture all vehicle movements entering the drive. I understand there may be legislation in the Data protection Act which is relevant. Please can you advise. Would it make a difference if we got every residence on the drive to support this action in writing?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, the road committee, consisting of 5 of the residents (of which i am one), discussed it in principle last Tuesday.
JA: Where is the residence located?
Customer: Marley Common, Haslemere, Surrey GU27 3PT
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I should also add that the Surrey / Sussex boarder footpath crosses over the drive at the point where we are considering installing the CCTV - as this is near the start of the drive - so is open to pedestrians.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 month ago.

If you are private individuals doing this, you do not have to register with the Information Commissioner although you are still bound by the basic Data Protection principles.

There is no reason why you should not register with the information Commissioner but it is not required because of the size of your little organisation and what you are doing.

There is no harm in getting everyone to agree though.

If you could please rate my service five stars (even if it’s not the answer you wanted) that would be really helpful. If you have any further questions you want to ask on this subject, I am happy to deal with those for you.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

Hello again. Can I assist you any further with this?

If not, if you could use the rating service, it helps me greatly because it gets me paid and it doesn’t cost you anything. Thank you