Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My fence was erected in 2006 Can my neighbour force me to

Customer Question

My fence was erected in 2006 Can my neighbour force me to have it moved back as it was put roughly 16 ins.over his property at the time. And does the Over 12 year of it being there apply.? I live in Belfast N.Ireland.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Gone to my solicitor after his solicitor sent me the letter. I didn’t sign anyone.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Just solicitor
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No documents
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Have you had a survey done?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No I don’t want you to phone me. I just want to know if the 12 year limit is valid in Ni.Ireland It is up since June 2006 Thanks
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I mean the fence
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
As I am an old age pensioner I can’t afford £44 I have paid £5 already I have been seeking answers for the last few hours.I was told that this is a very quick response by friends .
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Ok No, it does not. What you need to do is get a survey done.

That will set out where the true boundary is. If its on your side, then all well and good, you are ok.

If you have encroached then sadly you may have to move it.

Unless any application was made for adverse possession and you have gone over, then sadly it may have to be moved.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you I would like to know about the 12 year old cut off period as the fence has been up since 2006.
.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Yes, but you would have needed to apply for adverse possession.

If you didnt then sadly you can not claim.

I am sorry. Does that clarify?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.