F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My gas is out due to a gas leak. Can I ask for rent

Customer Question

My gas is out due to a gas leak. Can I ask for rent abatement for the amount of days the gas was out, once the problem has been fixed?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 days ago.

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

can you give me all the background please

how long ?

is it efffecting hot water/heating?

where is the leak?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
since Saturday, it is effecting the hot water and leak. the leak is somewhere in the communal area but it is coming from my flat.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 days ago.

You have no claim for a rent rebate against the landlord unless the leak is due to any failing or negligence of the landlord.

I’m afraid it really is as simple as that.

I am sorry, I imagine it’s probably not the answer you wanted.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES