How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15693
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have a tem, I have a tenant in a my HMO house who I have

Customer Question

I have a tem
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have a tenant in a my HMO house who I have not seen or heard from since the 4th of October. His room is as it was nothing touched everything of his is still in the room the bed has not been slept in. None of the other tenants have seen him. I have reported him as a missing person. How do I stand with regard to all his possessions and releting the room
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: It is in a road called Campden Crescent which is in Dagenham
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - please be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

what was the tenancy agreement?

who was paying the rent? him or benefits?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. He was receiving part Housing and the balance he was making up. Housing have stopped his benefits and they are chasing him for over £11,000 in payments even though I received his housing benefit direct. They are going after him
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 months ago.

If he had abandoned the property then you would need to give him a Torts Interference with Goods Act notice which is a letter sent to be under the Act which gives him 30 days (a reasonable period of time) to collect his goods after which they will be disposed of. That probably doesn’t apply here however:

You can only do that once you have possession of the property.

You are therefore going to have to give him a section 21 notice to quit at the end of the term and the section 8 notice in respect of rent arrears.

You serve those at the last known address which is the property, unless you have another address.

You may think the property is abandoned but you don’t know that. He could have gone on holiday for six months so you still have to go through the statutory process of getting an order for possession and then a warrant of possession and what you have the warrant of possession, you can open the door and the bailiffs can take all his goods out and dispose of them.

So you are probably going to be a couple of months away from getting him out.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

Thank you.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.