Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Do I have a right for a council flat? I live in Brent since

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Do I have a right for a council flat? I live in Brent since 2013, August I rent a room - en-suite, with a shared kitchen. So, strictly speaking it's shared accommodation. In 2013 yet, I have asked the local council to be put into the waiting list. Their answer was: no, you are housed adequately. But I am not. All I have is a bedroom (that is used as my office as well) and a bathroom; no living room, shared kitchen; no legal right even to have my own kettle in the room. I am a single female; 49 years old; self-employed; monthly income about £180 per week + HB. As far as I know in Brent there is a 5 years residence requirement to be included into the waiting list and to bid for one bed properties.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Well, I applied back in 2013 yet. I received a reply from Council telling me that I was properly housed. I believe I did not keep it.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Brent, Northwick Park village, HA1 3GN. Network Homes Association.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's all Unless you have questions.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 16 days ago.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK I can wait. I am ready to provide any additional information if required.
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

How can I help you with this today?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 12 days ago.

Do you still require assistance with this?