UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

It is a lengthy message, so please do not think I have

Customer Question

Hello. It is a lengthy message, so please do not think I have disappeared
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: King’s Lynn, Norfolk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Well, it’s more about I am a private tennant looking to move from where I live currently. I have been looking for over a year, I live with my 15 year old daughter, and she wants to move closer to her school and friends, I do not work as I am unable to, so receive benefits. I enquired about a property recently, the landlord was happy for the agent to show me round as long as I have a guarantor, which I do. I completed an application, handed this is in and I know there were no other applications or viewings. I called the agent at least twice a day for a whole week as my guarantor had not received the paperwork for completion, I have now been told that there is a new application which the Landlord has accepted over mine, but still no explanation from the agent. I only get to speak to the receptionist, how is this right? Both myself and my daughter are devastated
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The agent told me the Landlord wanted someone in the property within two to three weeks, which was fine, and they were aware I had all of the funds waiting. Like I said, there were no other interested parties, and I have still not officially been told I have not been successful, yet no references were undertaken by them, and they did not even ask to see my identification documents, even after I offered these upon submitting my application, they said they did not need them. I feel I have been leapfrogged and the agent has allowed this to happen. It feels like discrimination
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 17 days ago.

Unless you can prove that you were discriminated against, I am afraid there is no case as you did not enter into any legally binding contracts.

The burden of proof would be on you to show that you were discriminated against and that may be difficult to discharge.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Surely there is no better proof than being told the Landlord is happy to rent to you as long as you have a guarantor..... Being ignored with no contact from them, no viewings as I had submitted my application, then all of a sudden my application is not being processed, even though they had not even referenced my Guarantor??...... The property has been on the market since August this years, with no applications..... Does this not sound extremely suspicious? Is there anything I can do going forward? This whole situation is disgusting, and yes, I do feel like a second class citizen because I am on Disability Allowance and not able to work at the moment. Lisa.

I am afraid unless you are prepared to go to court with no guarantee of success and with the risk of facing a huge legal fees bill, you should try and devote your attention and time to looking for an alternative property.

They could argue a host of things e.g. someone else was prepared to pay a higher rent, pay a larger deposit etc etc.

Sorry, but I have a duty to be honest with you.

All the best, please click on 5 stars