Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We have bought a property. It’s got a commercial double

We have bought a property. It’s got a commercial double front downstairs at a rateable value of 650 per month. The property came with previous tenant with a lease that has 2 years left. It’s a law society unregistered 2008 lease. It’s for the whole building (6flats too) for 200 pound a month. Yes that’s right 200. Ok so the commercial premises he has sublet to a cash for clothes company for 350£ per month just for shop. Both have admitted it’s subletting. Where do we stand? Has the lease been invalidated and what do we do next?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No non
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Liverpool
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have renovated the six flats. Each is worth 400-500 pound per month.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes that’s fine

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

I assume its against the lease to sublet?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What’s happened is when we bought the previous tenant we had to honour was really evasive on handing over the lease as we were suspicious as to why the whole building was let out. On handing over two pages of the lease we realised is was a law society 2008 part building. We explained this. The second page was missing which is easily accessible and the second page includes clauses one of which is sublet not allowed. How do we go about this as surely that lease is invalid

You want to get rid of the tenant?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ideally yes
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The property is worth 600 per month. However he’s paying 200 to us then renting it to his sublet for 350

Did you ask the seller for a copy of the lease?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Of the sublet tenant? Yes. They’re being evasive but we’ve had verbal proof and via text message they’re subletting

Forgive me the lease that you are referring to, is that the tenant or sub tenant?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’ve paid 44 for a call? No call? What’s going on?

I am just in Court, will call shortly, will show as withheld.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’ve contacted someone else now. You can refund that 44 pound back to my card

Ok