Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I asked you earlier re the prohibition order, any response

Customer Question

hi, i asked you earlier re the prohibition order, any response from your solicitor on the case?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: i responded to that already
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: ealing, perivale
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: responded to this already
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
hi, we got a prohibition order for demolition to be carried out within 3 weeks, however there's a tenant currently residing in the property. what are my options?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 15 days ago.

I am very sorry for the delay in response.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
yes pls do proceed, as i'm paying for this service.. However, i do need an answer ASAP, as i'm in a risk of getting in contravention with a notice, for no good reason, as explained above.
awaiting your URGENT advice.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Nicola has asked me to look at this for you.

I only have this one post and I have no background. Sorry.

Good you explain the situation in detail, what the problem is and what you want to know about it?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
we got a Prohibition order to demolish an out building within 28 days, we are happy to comply with this, however ther is a tenant living there and we believe the legal eviction process takes much longer than 4 weeks. what are the steps we have to take vis a vis the council and the tenant.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
sorry pressed by mistake. pls don't call. i would prefer it to be in writing.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
pls confirm you are not charging the £44 for that error?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hi, pls advise re the charge, and re my original enquiry?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
pls answer my questions re the charge, and re my original enquiry?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

We can continue on here. The telephone call is optional.

You would need to speak to customer services if you have been charged. If I report it to customer services the thread will close and we cannot continue so it’s probably better for you to contact them or wait until we have finished our exchange.

You need to be seen to be going through the eviction process and you need to give the requisite notice immediately, if you have not done already. I don’t love the circumstances under which the tenant is occupying the property or whether the tenant is in breach of the tenancy agreement but you would normally be required to give 2 months notice.

You need to emphasise that with the local authority and you may find they would take more notice if that letter comes from a solicitor. If they press you for this, boot the tenant out unceremoniously, they are trying to get you to break the law. If they don’t start to become more accommodating, tell them you are going to refer the matter to the Local Government Ombudsman.