How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1175
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

How do I find out who legally owns a property. If an

This answer was rated:

How do I find out who legally owns a property. If an Insolvency Company signs their half to a person does that mean they are the legal owner, even if someone else is on the deeds
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no just enquiring
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: in essex
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Basically me and my husband owned a property equally, he was made bankrupt so had to sign his half over to an insolvency company, once we had paid the money they signed it back over to me. We have since split and he is being well not very nice. He says that the deeds are still in both our names and I am saying that the house is in my name with the land registry. I would just like to know who is correct, and whether I have the upper hand

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.

Kindly answer the following questions in order for me to best assist:

Whose name is registered on the deed at land registry.

When was he declared bankrupt?

How long since the bankruptcy did you remain together?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1. mine i think as the insolvency company signed their interest over to me
2. i think 2012
3. we separated last year

Kindly give me a minute to review and type a response. As this is an email service there may be a slight delay in my response to you. It doe snot mean I am not here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ive just paid £5 im not paying anymore
Customer: replied 3 months ago.

That was an automated message. Kindly note my early message. I am currently trying to type a fulsome response to you. I ask kidnly for you to be patient.

Thank you for the additional information. If it was signed over to you by the insolvency company it is highly likely that the property is solely in your name. However, as you are not absolutely sure. You may check on this via the land registry office. You may do this by following the below link:

Your situation is not clear-cut. Part of my duty here is to give you clear guidance.

As he is your husband, if his name is not on the deed. He may still argue that the house is matrimonial property and as such he is entitled to an interest in it. The question for the court would be whether he is entitled and if so how much he would be entitled.

Your defence to such an assertion could however be on the basis that whatever interest he would have been entitled to was realised when he became bankrupt and his interest in it was utilised as part of the bankruptcy proceeding.

You are however in a much stronger position by virtue of the bankruptcy proceedings and the fact that he already benefited from any interest in the property.


I do hope I have clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance. kindly take the time to rate the services received.

All the best


Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you all i need to know is if it is in my name as i need the proceeds to come to me as he will not be fair

As noted above, all you will need to do is get a copy of the deed from the Land registry on the deed you will see the name of the owner on the document. If it is solely in your name, your name alone will appear on the document.


Please see the link again for you to click and apply for a copy of the deed:


ReadyLaw and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you