How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3554
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I live in Scotland and have just received not. of proposed2

This answer was rated:

Hi, I live in Scotland and have just received not. of proposed2 storey extension to the house directly in front of my property. This will restrict light to my garden and single storey house. I;ve lived here for nearly 35 years.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Nothing so far just received this not. in the post. I remember about 20 years ago a previous owner of this neighbouring property made enquiries about building a similar 2 storey extension, but it was thrown out and he moved away.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this advice free, I;m retired. I have an single storey extension built 25 years ago and I was planning to have a greenhouse erected next year.

Hi thank you for your message, the main thing to do here is note that you can object to planning permission. This will be a proposed alteration not approved, therefore, as you may have done previously, is to establish the relevant planning officer at the local council and contact them. You should lodge an objection to the proposed application on the grounds that the proposed development would have a severe restriction on your quality of life and enjoyment of the property not least because of the effect on the light to your property. You should make sure that you contact all relevant councils for example such decisions are usually made by the county council however, they usually invite the views of the relevant district and parish councils so contact them and raise your concerns with them as well. Once an objection is made the matter should go to a hearing of the council for approval or rejection of the plans, make sure you attend and ask to orally voice your concerns. This should then hopefully lead to the plans being rejected. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin and 5 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for this, my problem is I suffer from ill health and have mobility problems. would it affect my case if I was unable to attend any hearing ?

Hi thank you for your message, if you cannot attend in person insure that as a result of your mobility problems arrangements are made in advance for your opinion to be heard for example you might be able to arrange with the council that you can call in on a speakerphone to the meeting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks again.

Glad I could help, take care.