Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have had a dispute with my landlord, due to a past rodent

I have had a dispute with my landlord, due to a past rodent infestation that I had to solve. My tenancy is due to expire at the end of April 2020. The rent was due on Friday the 1st of November. I am still outstanding. She has told me that she is serving me notice today. On what grounds can she serve me notice? Also, if I pay her today, what are her options and mine? Can I refuse to accept the notice? Please find the relevant snippet from my tenancy agreement. Termination of Tenancy 38. The Landlord may terminate the tenancy by service on the Tenant of a notice pursuant to any ground provided under the Act. The Landlord may serve such notice either: a. to terminate the tenancy at its end date (e.g. a Section 21 notice to quit), b. to terminate the tenancy where the Tenant has broken or not performed any of his obligations under this Agreement (e.g. a Section 8 notice of seeking possession), or c. to terminate the tenancy for any other ground provided in the Act (e.g. landlord is seeking to live on the property again).

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks Nicola

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I would like to understand if and how my landlord can serve me me notice to quit before my tenancy ends

The Landlord can serve notice only 2 months before it is due to end.

The Landlord can NOT end it beforehand.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi there, to clarify, the tenancu says that she can give me 2 months notice. Please see all od the details in my original email in this thread. But youre saying she can't do this?

Yes I read that. She can't if you are in the fixed term.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Perfect. Thanks

Pleasure

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi there. I have been in my property for 2 years. My most recent tenancy agreement started at the start of May. After a dispute, my landlady has protected my deposit under a desposit protection scheme. I want to know how soon after this she can give me a section 21 notice. Additionally, I'd like to know if she can still be penalised for not having pritected the deposit earlier. Thanks Stephanie

As soon as it is protected she can give notice.

Yes you can sue for damages.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Perfect. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
She has told me that her condition for remaining in the flat is my agreeing to sign a new tenancy, which some amended details. Is this even legal?

No its not.