How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 14906
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

In my tenancy agreement it is stated that my rent includes

This answer was rated:

Hello. In my tenancy agreement it is stated that my rent includes council tax. I am renting from a private landlord through agency. Now that the council tax bill came, agency informed me that lanlord wants me to pay it, saying there's a mistake in our contract. In the contract it clearly states he's the one responsible for council tax payments. How can I proceed?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Nothing yet. Looking for some legal advice first on what can I do.
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: North London, N15.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That'd be all, thank you.


Thank you for your query. If your tenancy agreement states that council tax is included, the landlord/agent cannot compel you to pay the council tax. It would be their responsibility to pay.

I would suggest that you refuse to pay and report the matter to your local council.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

many thanks,

INC Law and 4 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you