How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3635
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I have recently left a rented property. My landlord and I

This answer was rated:

Hi. I have recently left a rented property. My landlord and I are currently disputing the deposit. He has lied. An old neighbour of mine had viewed the property and he has sat and told her she can have the house but I'm not allowed in the property and if I am found to be on the property she will be evicted. I left due to personal reasons, the whole house was spotless and freshener before I left howere he just wants the money. Is there anything that prevents him discussing me with anyone? I feld violence and the domestic abuse unit are currently investigating my ex, I'm now concerned he is going to pass my details on to him as he has been discussing me with others
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We currently going through the disputes process with safe deposits Scotland
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. I am reviewing it now for you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

Your landlord has your personal details due to his position of landlord and therefore you should strongly warn him in writing that you are aware that he is discussing your personal information with third parties and warn him that should he not stop with immediate effect he will be breaching your rights under the data protection regulations and you will be reporting him to the ICO and will seek compensation for any damages suffered as a result of his conduct. Request that he confirms in writing that your personal information and circumstances are not divulged to any third party withour seeking your consent.

I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What if he has passed my details on to my ex? Domestic abuse unit are investigating my ex for sexual assault and several charges. He is not to know where I am and he has the means to have passed this information on which may make my ex aware of not only where I am but that they are investigating him

If you know that he has then you tell him that he has already breached your data rights and that you are reporting him as he has put your safety and security in danger. damages sought could be for him to get you moved elsewhere at his cost as he would have put you in this situation. If you are speculating and do not know that he has done so I would suggest giving him the warning.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I contact the police?

Yes you can as you feel insecure and that your satefy is compromised. The police will advise if they think it is necessary at this stage to take action.

SolicitorRM and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you