Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I would like to know if a landlord can charge me check out

Hi, I would like to know if a landlord can charge me check out fee if we signed our contract after 1st June 2019
Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?
Customer: It is in England, haven’t consulted anyone else
Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No issues, we are at the end of our 6month tenancy
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we signed a contract that states it, but it was after the new law came into place so i would like to know what our rights are
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They also said it would be taken from the deposit, if this helps

Hi thank you for your message, no they cannot do this. There is full guidance on this here issued by the tenancy deposit scheme: https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com/resources/files/TFA_Guidance_for_LandlordsAgents.pdf

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi, I read this already but does it still stand even though we signed a contract?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry don’t call me
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I didn’t realise it would be £44!!
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Could you please undo that for me?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What are the repercussions to the agency if they don’t adhere to the rule?

Hi thank you for your message, the call request was automatic not sent by me however, I will not call you and the money should be automatically refunded to your account. In terms of your query, the ban applied from the 1st June 2019 so any contract entered into after that date would have to abide by these provisions. In terms of implications for the agency they cannot collect on these fees nor enforce them in court so you can refuse to pay and inform the relevant deposit protection scheme. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you, I appreciate your help

Glad I could help, take care.