How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1412
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I'm currently living in a property where I was asked to

This answer was rated:

Hello, I'm currently living in a property where I was asked to leave in August due to an unstable roof. I was allowed back in after one day however months later the property has now been deemed uninhabitable and one of my flatmates has been unable to sleep in his room due to mould, damp etc... Late last night the bathroom ceiling caved in whilst someone was using the toilet but luckily was not injured. They have offered £2800 between four tenants in compensation but this will have to cover deposit and rent for the new house we've had to move in to. It is obvious that they knew there were issues back in August but failed to do anything. We just would like to know our rights and if you think we would be entitled to more compensation and/or should take this further. Thank you
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We have spoken to our landlord who arranged compensation as stated. But other than that we haven't done much because we don't know what we can do
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: Southampton
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will this cost anything?

Welcome to JA.

Your rights lie likley within your contract between you and the landlord where there was agreement for him to repair damage to the property.

If not within the contract then your rights is within the landlord and tenants act and the defective premises act, which imposes repairing obligations on the landlord.

Do you understand what I have stated if yes I will proceed to the next step

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can we do it over message

Obviously given the offer on the table the landlord is aware that he is at risk

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In our contract it says the landlord is responsible for structural repairs. So surely he should have done something back in August.

With regards ***** ***** offer on the table I suggest you undertake the following steps

Yes given his failure to do so he is at risk

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What would you recommend to do at this point
  • Notify the landlord you will review his offer and return to him
  • Contact your local solicitors and arrange a free consultation meeting.
  • If you have images of the damage and all messages between you and landlord plus the contract I suggest you gather this together

Once the local solicitors reviews the the documents and perhaps instructs a surveyor to review the property he can then advise you on whether to reject or make a counter offer

Do you understand what I have stated if not please let me know

Anthony Chendo and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah I understand
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much for all of your help

Your welcome and have a good day.