Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I'm currently living in a property where I was asked to

Hello, I'm currently living in a property where I was asked to leave in August due to an unstable roof. I was allowed back in after one day however months later the property has now been deemed uninhabitable and one of my flatmates has been unable to sleep in his room due to mould, damp etc... Late last night the bathroom ceiling caved in whilst someone was using the toilet but luckily was not injured. They have offered £2800 between four tenants in compensation but this will have to cover deposit and rent for the new house we've had to move in to. It is obvious that they knew there were issues back in August but failed to do anything. We just would like to know our rights and if you think we would be entitled to more compensation and/or should take this further. Thank you
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We have spoken to our landlord who arranged compensation as stated. But other than that we haven't done much because we don't know what we can do
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: Southampton
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will this cost anything?

Welcome to JA.

Your rights lie likley within your contract between you and the landlord where there was agreement for him to repair damage to the property.

If not within the contract then your rights is within the landlord and tenants act and the defective premises act, which imposes repairing obligations on the landlord.

Do you understand what I have stated if yes I will proceed to the next step

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can we do it over message

Obviously given the offer on the table the landlord is aware that he is at risk

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
In our contract it says the landlord is responsible for structural repairs. So surely he should have done something back in August.

With regards to the offer on the table I suggest you undertake the following steps

Yes given his failure to do so he is at risk

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What would you recommend to do at this point
  • Notify the landlord you will review his offer and return to him
  • Contact your local solicitors and arrange a free consultation meeting.
  • If you have images of the damage and all messages between you and landlord plus the contract I suggest you gather this together

Once the local solicitors reviews the the documents and perhaps instructs a surveyor to review the property he can then advise you on whether to reject or make a counter offer

Do you understand what I have stated if not please let me know

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yeah I understand
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so much for all of your help

Your welcome and have a good day.