UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My house in mid terrace but the back sticks out a few feet

Customer Question

My house in mid terrace but the back sticks out a few feet further than the house next door. on the wall facing the neighbours is a single chimney stack which is on my property and takes the flue from the centra lheating. It sticks four feet above the roof. Neighbours have erected a satellite dish on the top of chimney which has destabilised. I am having the whole roof replaced due to a leak and have decided to remove the extra feet from the chimney. This means neighbours have to remove dish otherwise work cannot progress. I will write and ask to emove said dish and not to reerrect it on my property in future. If they refuse, can I take dish down and throw in skip or will the work no t go ahead. The chimney is leaking water from the dish bolts which has dislodged soot and debris from chimney coming into the living room
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No Just have a hand written letter to deliver saying work starts ....... and the chimney has to be removed and they must remover their dish
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: NOt yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just what my legal position is regarding who owns the dish as erected without my permission and on my properrty
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 10 days ago.

They own the dish and it is effectively trespassing on your property. If they fail to remove it, you are free to remove it and place the dish on their property.

You should not throw it in the skip unless they say you can.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thank you

You are welcome. Please click on 5 stars to leave a positive rating so that I can close this question.