Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have a shared water supply with a neighbour and need to

Customer Question

I have a shared water supply with a neighbour and need to turn off the water for an indefinite period of time (maybe weeks or months) as we have various issues with leaks inside that are damaging our house and will also be doing construction over the next few months. I have sent him a letter stating this and advising him to get his own supply installed (everyone but him has their own). I checked with Thames water and they said it was legal as long as I notified him but he says his solicitor told him it’s illegal for me to turn it off for more than a few hours. Is that true?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london - Camden
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have written to him informing him we will be turning it off and explained the reasons why. The first time I met him, I was simply asking whether we supplied him or he supplied us and he immediately got defensive and said I need not to ever go on a meter. Incidentally the water board are fitting meters in the area and will eventually make us all use them but the reason this has to happen now is because of the damage being done to our house. I gave hi, sorry hit return too soon i gave him 2 weeks to sort it out but all he is doing is arguing that he doesn’t want to. I have said I am open to changing the date if he can give me written evidence that Thames water can only install on a specified later date within reason
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we are relatively new to the area but other neighbours have advised me he is very difficult. He has already flouted planning conditions to do with work he did on his house so I suspect he will say and do anything to get out of this and I need to know if what he said is true as I read that it is illegal for a water to turn off the supply for more than 4 hours without prior notice but Thames water did not mention anything to me about a limit on how long I could turn ours off for when I explained it was going to be for an indefinite period of time
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Please ignore the call request and service offer message. These were sent in error.
Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 11 days ago.

Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Please cancel and cancel my membership
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Cancel my membership
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Sure. Please do not reply otherwise the system thinks you are stuck