chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

We purchased a property in 2013. We converted it to an HMO

Dear Sir / Madam,We purchased a property in 2013.
We converted it to an HMO (house of multiple occupation) in 2013 & 14.
Unfortunately, a problem has now been found:
The HMO has been in operation for around six years but a recent leak in the first-floor ceiling has resulted in the discovery that the chimney stack is only supported by a timber at loft level; the chimney breasts were removed at lower floors prior to us purchasing the building.The structural engineer has visited site and specified a beam to support the chimney stack. The beam is required to be fitted below the first-floor ceiling.Our total costs will be ~ £5,000.Is there any way we would have a claim against the insurance company or not as a 'pre-existing' condition, albeit the leak has only recently occurred, necessitating leaving the room empty, losing us rent for the last few months.Thank you in advance.

Thank you for your query. Have you raised a claim with your insurers?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi, No - not yet. Wanted to get your view first....

You have a few issues here. As you purchased the property in 2013, any claim you would have had would have been time barred after 6 years. Therefore, you will now have to deal with the issue yourself.

You may wish to report the matter to your insurers to see whether they would cover the works under the policy.

I hope this answers your question, If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
When you say time-barred, does that mean we can't go after the original surveyor either? Thanks.

There is a possibility that you may not as the Survey was carried out in 2013, I assume. However, there would be no harm in trying.

Many thanks,