How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1533
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I bought a out property 2 years ago and there is a problem

This answer was rated:

I bought a burnt out property 2 years ago and there is a problem with the boundary line (land registry) it shows the line cutting through part of the bungalow and missing out the garden that has a clear physical boundary hedge (approx. 20+ years old). I have contacted the property owner (sovereign housing) who own the neighbouring property to ask to change the line. their reply is to ask for a lot of money and legal fees.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: we have sent sovereign housing a letter with proof of hedge line etc.
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: isle of wight 45 furrlongs Newport. they sent round their property manager who said to me they would not dispute ownership because it is obvious to see it has been there for ages.then after waiting for ages for a reply from the solicitors i wrote to their CEO. then a letter has come back wanting money
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not sure what else they will need
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just to add if I can. I can get more proof that the land has been as it is now from statements from previous owners family. The tenant in the house adjacent has told me it has been like that since he moved in 14 years ago. although he is nervous about arguing against his landlord
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i risk losing a sale because of this situation so may be willing to pay something to get the sale done.but it sounds extortionate what they want
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the original land registry drawings date back to 1983 when the previous owner bought the property on a right to buy scheme from the then named medina council. since then all the local council properties were handed to sovereign housing
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm how much are they asking for?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
at present 500 plus vat legal fees the cost of a surveyor to value the land and the amount the surveyor values the land at. I am presuming it will be between 5-10k but that is an estimate from my own experience

Hi, thank you for your message. I would recommend that you write them a final letter setting out your claim and attaching all relevant evidence. Unfortunately, boundary disputes are quite common and the boundaries set out by the land registry are not always correct (they tend to be estimates). For this reason the only way to resolve these types of disputes is to take the matter to court for a judge to decide the outcome based on all evidence before him. It would strengthen your case if you have any written evidence of what was initially said by the property manager. You can find a solicitor using the Law Society find a solicitor search option here: You can search by town or postcode to find one near you, as well as area of law.

I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

Joy Nicholas and 4 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you